Battery Fire On Board Chinese Passenger Jet
Dramatic photos of a battery fire in an overhead bin last week. Even though it appears it was easily extinguished, that was most likely just the exterior bag we saw burning. The real culprit is the battery inside the bag which likely was continuing to burn despite efforts from the crew to fight it. If this had happened in flight the need for proper equipment (such as our lithium-ion battery fire containment bags) and training would be necessary components in properly dealing with this situation.